General Aviation pilots who want to fly around Atlanta between April 1 and 7, 2020, should check out the FAA’s Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) for special air traffic procedures.
The 2020 Final Four will be played on the first weekend of April, with semifinals on Saturday, April 4, and the National Championship Game on Monday, April 6, at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. The FAA expects more than 1,000 additional take-offs and landings at Atlanta area airports that week.
Additional unmanned aircraft restrictions will also be in place the first week of April.
Special air traffic procedures to enhance safety and minimize air traffic delays will be in effect for the following airports:
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)
- DeKalb-Peachtree Airport (PDK)
- Fulton County Airport–Brown Field (FTY)
- Cobb County International Airport (RYY)
- Gwinnett County Airport (LZU)
- Newnan Coweta County Airport (CCO)
- Paulding Northwest Atlanta Airport (PUJ)
- Atlanta Regional Airport–Falcon Field (FFC)
- Henry County Airport (HMP)
- Griffin-Spalding County Airport (6A2)
- Covington Municipal Airport (CVC)
Arrival Route Requirements:
The NOTAM includes specific arrival route requirements for jet and turboprop aircraft.
FAA ATC Air Traffic Management Initiatives
Air traffic management initiatives may include:
- Ground Delay Programs (GDP)
- Airspace Flow Programs (AFP)
- Time Based Metering
- Miles in Trail
- Airborne Holding
- Ground Stops
- Altitude Restriction
- Gate Hold Procedures
Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) for NCAA Men’s Final Four – April 3 to 6
The FAA will publish multiple Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs) centered on Mercedes-Benz Stadium and other downtown Atlanta venues at various times between April 3 and 6. The TFRs will not affect regularly scheduled commercial flights at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL). Emergency medical, public safety and military aircraft may enter the TFR in coordination with air traffic control. The FAA will post the full text and graphic depictions of the NCAA Final Four TFRs later in March.